2021 Junior Essay Contest
GCGRC is committed to the future of our sport; as such, we view our Junior participation as vital to the wellbeing of our dog community. Over the past year, club members have given great thought into how we can best encourage the next generation to participate and contribute to our sport.
To that end, GCGRC is offering the 2021 Junior Essay Contest to Golden Retriever owners/handlers who reside in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. The essay subject will focus on what the junior participant/leader has learned from their dog handling experiences and what they have given back to the community. A panel of judges is prepared to read and score the work based on an established criteria including addressing the theme components, as well as essay mechanics and organization.
The grand prize winner will receive $3,000! Additional cash prizes will be awarded based on participation and quality of entries. If you or someone you know is eligible to participate, please share this site with them!
This essay contest is open to all eligible Junior handlers aged 14-18. Specific contest rules are as follows:
- The contest is FREE to enter
- Stories/entries must not exceed 500 words (all words count).
- We will only accept one entry per writer
- Theme is “What have you learned with your Golden Retriever, how have you given back to the community, and how will these experiences be used in the future.”
- Entry must be submitted by October 3, 2021 through our online entry form.
- Please keep a copy of your entry – it will not be returned
This essay competition is open to all Junior handlers of Golden Retrievers who meet all of the following criteria:
- The Junior must be 14-18 years old on January 1, 2022.
- The Junior must be a resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia
- The Junior must have an affiliation with a dog club or competes in organized dog club sports.
- The Junior must have/handle/work with a purebred Golden Retriever (e.g. Purebred Alternative Listing is acceptable)
- The essay must be written whole by the Junior
- Our finalists may be required to provide more information such as school transcripts or a personal reference to confirm eligibility.
Enter the 2021 Junior Essay Contest